My daily skin routine has been refined as I age. In addition to regular skin care products, I’ve added a few non-traditional practices to my daily routine. As a result, my skin is clearer, smoother and I’m more confident in my appearance! Take a look at what sparked this change!
When I started nearing 30, I became insanely aware of my skin. I’ve always known to take care of my skin and followed the basics for healthy skin…
- Wear sunscreen when out in the sun
- Drink water throughout the day
- Wash your face before bed
But as I got older, I started to analyze every line and wrinkle on my face, trying to figure out if it was new or something that’s always been there.
Around this time, I also started to explore other ways to care for my skin and now do 3-things every day helps give me healthy skin that’s smooth, clear, and cared for as I age.
Collagen in my coffee
- Every morning I put a scoop of Great Lakes Collagen in my coffee. Even when I travel, I bring little to-go packets with me to keep my morning routine consistent
- Collagen is all the rage right now but strangely, I’ve been adding collagen to my daily routine for a few years. It all started when my Mom had knee surgery and I was exploring supplements she should take to increase her joint health. After researching collagen, I decided it was something I’d benefit from as well and added it to my own diet
- A lot of people prefer Vital Proteins but I’m a fan of Great Lakes collagen. I’ve found that Great Lakes has less of an aftertaste when compared to Vital Proteins and it also dissolves better in cold liquids, which is key for my iced coffee in the summer
- The benefits of collagen are huge! Here’s a few reasons why I love it
- Added boost of protein
- Improved joint health
- Stronger nails
- Younger, healthier skin
- Improved gut health
Sip a greens drink daily
- Every morning on my way to work I sip a greens drink, right now it’s Amazing Grass Detox + Digest
- I mix my greens with a spritz of lime juice and a little liquid stevia to help cut the grassiness
- This mix is alkalizing and provides my body and skin with extra vitamins and minerals
- As an added benefit, it’s also great for gut health, something that I’m constantly dealing with
- It’s also another great way to get in ~16 ounces of fluid each day which improves overall skin health, appearance, and fine lines by keeping you more hydrated
Apply a moisturizer with SPF
- Yup a no-brainer, but I’m looking for something that’s +50 SPF unscented and can be worn under my makeup
- Right now, I’m wearing the Rodan + Fields sunscreen, applying it every morning after I shower to my face, neck, and ears but I’ve also found the Aveeno moisturizer works well too, though a tad lower in SPF. If you have any suggestions for favorite SPF moisturizers, I’d love to hear them!
Making these three things part of regular routine has helped my skin become clearer and smoother and when I miss a few days in a row, I seriously notice a difference in the fine lines around my eyes.
It’s been a few months now that I’ve consistently kept to the routine for all three and I’m more confident in my appearance, wearing less makeup overall, and some days none! I truly feel like these health changes will ensure complexion benefits as I age.
What do you do regularly to take care of your skin as you age?