My house salad dressing, Everyday Balsamic Vinaigrette, is a simple, homemade salad dressing inspired by a trip to Greece. It pairs well with most salad combinations and can be used as a base recipe to create other dressing variations.
I eat a lot of salads. I also know salad dressings are one of the most processed foods. A lot of store-bought dressing contain added sugars, fats, and chemicals used for emulsion. Knowing this, I decided to create my own salad dressing, which I call Everyday Balsamic Dressing. This is what I consider to be my house dressing, nicknamed Everyday Balsamic because I use it almost daily.
These three ingredients, olive oil, vinegar, and oregano are the base for my dressing. To the three base ingredients, I add dijon mustard for spice and to help thicken the dressing then finish it off with the standard salt and pepper seasoning.
My Standard Salad
I love this Everyday Balsamic dressing because it pairs so well with most styles of salad. My go-to salad base includes greens, bell pepper, scallions, cucumber, and garbanzo beans. From there, I add a protein plus my Everyday Hummus and baby carrots for dipping!
My Everyday Balsamic Dressing is also a great base recipe for creating other variations. When modifying the recipe, try to keep the 1:1 ratio of oil to vinegar to help maintain the dressing consistency we’re all familiar with.
A few of my favorite variations include:
- Use red wine, sherry, or rice wine vinegar in place of the balsamic vinegar
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of garlic granules
- Swap the oregano for Italian Seasoning
- Make it spicier by adding a 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Create a ranch vinaigrette by adding a tablespoon of Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
No matter how you modify the recipe, it’s sure to be a success and will hopefully become your house dressing in the same way as it’s become mine!
- ¼ cup quality extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ ground black pepper
- Pour all ingredients into a small jar
- Place the lid on the jar and shake vigorously to combine
- Serve immediately or store at room temperature for up to 5 days